So, for those of you that don't know I work front desk at a Hotel. I love it, its good fun. However, WHAT IS WITH SOME PEOPLE? I dunno, maybe it is cause I use the computer closer to the door, or maybe it is just how things appear to me cause, this is often on my mind but it seems that people come to me first before my co-workers.
Maybe it is just in my head, but even if my head is down, and I'm working on something in front of me it seems I'll end up with a guest right in front of me even if Heather or Courtney (who both have more seniority than me) are there, with their heads up looking right at them. What is with that? Is it cause I'm taller? cause I'm a man?... they always like to assume I'm a manager too. That might be because I wear my own suit... but... well maybe I'm only kidding myself... Sorry guest walked strait to me, even though my head was down and I was obvioulsy typing...
Don't get me wrong, I love helping people, love helping them out and answering their questions. They arn't a bother in the least amount. What bothers me is that it seems they come to me first. My teacher last semester often talked about unconsious bias. Well, I think from my time working here that it is true. I really want to take a study and tally how many people come to me first and how many to one of my co-workers. Then I'd love to run it again and put me at the computer further from the doors.
I would love for that study to utterly fail and be proved wrong, but part of me worries that it wouldn't. That it would prove my case all the more... Which is just sad... really sad.
Why would that be sad? Is that a bad thing if people feel comfortable coming to talk to you?
ReplyDeleteIts not a bad thing that people feel comfortable talking to me, Its just strange thats all. That people would rather come to me, even when I'm obviously busy, instead of going to my co-worker who obviously isn't. It comes down to two things in my mind, either they are incredibly lazy, and don't want to walk an extra 4 steps, or they have a pre-conceived notion that I'm better to talk to, or quicker cause they think I'm a manager, or supervisor because I'm male, or because my suit isn't a uniform one so I must be a higher up. I dunno, in a few weeks we are getting new uniforms and I'll get one so we will see then. but... its just... food for thought. I guess, I mean, maybe I'm just looking too deep at things, but people often walk in look around look right at my co-worker and breeze by them and come to me, even if I'm holding a clip board, looking between it and the computer and typing.
ReplyDelete