Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Social Class and School Knowledge.

The article by Jean Anyon reveled some compelling knowledge about the current U.S. Educational and Social Systems. She looked at four different schools in four different social classes and compared the curriculum and what the students thought about what knowledge was and capable of doing. The study showed that in lower class working schools the students were not taught about the working class in society and the curriculum focused on teaching mechanical and rote knowledge and tasks. in other words teaching the students how to do things in a rote many and not alloying for freedom of thought. The Middle class school students where taught that knowledge was a commodity to be traded for a job or for college admittance. The professional school was taught the most to be creative and to be free thinkers. lastly the elite school was taught the most "honest" view of society according to Jean.

Is it true that the school programs of todays society "program" us to stay and reproduce the same social classes that have existed since the beginning of time? I can see how it seems that way, and I can see that it is probably on the large scale mostly true. I do believe however that there is more class movement then any person with a social or political goal will lead you to believe. That being said, I do believe the public school system needs a revamp. The simple truth that the parents of the Elite school were so against the re-zoning talked about at the beginning of the article is reason to be skeptical. The fact that the upper class schools gave such a strong view towards critical thinking, problem solving, what I call true and open history, and creativity is enough of a reason to want to scrap the current school system and redraw it. Thats one reason I really like this video. Sir Robinson says that schools are increasingly standardizing our children and we need to go in the opposite direction. I feel that the Elite school is half of what we are looking for, pushing for critical thinking, creativity, and true, complete, and open history of all cultures and social classes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

I think one of the huge problems in our society is we are becoming increasingly a population of entertainment. That is all we care about and all we wish to see, we seek and only seek our own entertainment. I fear that we are all becoming dull and more or less zombies. We need something to wake us up and enjoy the world not just program everyone to produce and consume and live. We need to be thinking critically, we need to look at the world in more ways then the ways we always have. I also think we need to get out of the class room and change this paradigm of you go to school so you can make money, and instead start teaching and preaching you go to school to create new ideas, new opportunities, and to expand your own knowledge and ability. As Jean Anyon says in her study that the Elite out of any class where taught and understood knowledge as a tool for their using, not a commodity to be traded for money or a job. That i feel is what we have to be focused on and where we need to start. I know there has been this re-accruing theme of "funding" in our class. However, I think if you gave me a public library, a private outdoor location, and ten students I could teach them more and prepare them better for life then any public school in the same or less time. I don't think the problem is Funding alone. I think a person with the ambition and a tutor could gain more knowledge with a $1.80 in late fees at the public library then most kids get in school. Money yeah its nice, but I think its half an excuse and half reliance on a broken system that really makes it a factor in changing and fixing education.

No comments:

Post a Comment